Reorientation of a solid body using Solids Alignment Plugin
This document is intended to provide a step-by-step procedure for reorienting an imported solid body in v7.7 or later. The technique found
HERE can be used in older versions that do not include the Solids Alignmentnt plug-in.
- Identify a planar (flat) surface on your imported body that will align with your XY plane
- Depress the face selection button and select the planar face
- Go to Plug-Ins-->Solids-->Solids Alignment
Your part should now be oriented properly to the XY plane and should be fully contained within the stock definition. Next we will move the part origin to a desired point on the model.
- Turn on Edge Selection...
- Select an edge that would help identify the new origin. This could be a corner or a circle.
- Open the geometry pallet. Select Geometry from Solids and select Geometry Extraction from the sub-menu.
- Specify a tolerance of .001" and click the Do It button. This should result in geometry being created from the edge selected. If you selected a circular shape it will be necessary to generate the center point of the circle at this point. This function can be found on the point pallet.
- Select Modify-->Move Part Origin.
- At this point it is important that the Origin dialog remain the active dialog. Be sure not to click any other feature or dialog after opening the Origin dialog.
- Hold down the ALT and SHIFT keys on your keyboard. The mouse pointer should turn into a square. Place the square over the point created in step #7 and click. This will load some values in the Origin Dialog. Hit Do It on the Origin dialog.
You should now have your part in the correct orientation with the correct part origin.